Sunday, April 16, 2017

Suicide

So I found out today that Amy Bleuel killed herself. You may not recognize the name, but you may know what she contributed to society. You know the anti-suicide semicolon tattoos? She was the one who started that. Such an inspiration, yet she went and offed herself.
What kind of message is that supposed to send for the rest of us? If I could have gotten a tattoo, I would have gotten that one, but now it is just a symbol of failure, punctuated by her corpse. Thanks a lot, Amy. Why the fuck did you have to be like Ned.

Ned Vizzini is a great guy. Sorry, was a great guy. He wrote It's Kind of a Funny Story. That book was so inspirational. He wrote about a character who wanted to commit suicide, and then called the suicide hotline. Then the main character ended up in a mental hospital where he met some interesting personages. And he ended with something along the lines of the fact that if you feel suicidal, don't actually kill yourself, just call the suicide hotline or reach out or something instead.

But what does he go and do? He kills himself the year after I meet him (well I think it was the year after, I'm terrible with time and memory, especially combined). So the author that I felt I had a small but deep connection to just because he wrote one of his books to take place in Metuchen and he was in a dark place went and killed himself. He was my role model for calling the fucking suicide hotline in the book, but now he's dead and so is Amy Bleuel and I'm worried I'll be soon to follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment